Thursday, November 8, 2007

Greenstone Software - My Evaluation

My report is addressed to the director of a mid-sized public library system (referred to throughout as “the Library”), which is interested in partnering with community groups to create an online digital library of local history materials such as photographs, posters, pamphlets and maps.

Conclusion and Recommendations: Greenstone digital library software meets the Library’s needs for a low-cost and functional tool for building an online digital library. The software is reputable, stable, customizable and has been used successfully in public-service and educational settings. However, usability, training and support are areas of concern. The next step for the Library should be to implement a pilot project using Greenstone to create a local history collection on a small scale. During the pilot project, library staff should investigate Greenstone’s usability, assess support options and evaluate human resources and training needs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your summary here, specifically your proposal for a pilot project, as well as how you address "human resources and training needs". I too chose Greenstone for my evaluation, but I didn't spend too much time considering test-runs and employee learning curves.

Curious, did you download the software? I did, and I liked how it had user-access designations for various levels of employees. I thought that was a good idea, but I'm not sure I mentioned it in my paper. Doh!